Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Story of The World Cup by Richard Brassey

Did you know that the World Cup starts in a few weeks? I don't think England will win it but I will enjoy watching it anyway.

Mr Biddle gave me this book because I love football and I love reading. It is all about the history of the World Cup from when it started in 1930. Uruguay won the first World Cup, they beat Argentina 4-2.

This book has loads of information about what happened in all of the World Cups. In 1950 England lost 1-0 to the USA which is an amazing result. Also Luxembourg are the only team to have tried to qualify for every World Cup but they have never made it. Bad luck to them but keep trying.

The Golden Boot is for the player who scores the most goals in the competition. Ronaldo has scored the most goals in the World Cup but not the Ronaldo who plays for Portugal. It was another Ronaldo who used to play for Brazil. He played in three World Cups but wasn't very good in the last one he played in.

When England won the World Cup, it got stolen. Who found it? You need to read the book to see. The page with the worst World Cup haircuts is really funny. I think Carlos Valderrama looks the silliest.

There are only two continents where the World Cup hasn't been played. Do you know which two? Hmm, it's a mystery. One of them has lots of penguins and one of them has lots of kangaroos though.

This is a brilliant book with lots of good pictures and I really enjoyed reading it. I would give this book the Golden Boot for being the best book. I am going to read it again now.

Who do you think will win the World Cup? I think it will be Brazil.

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Brady from the marsh school and I will like to go to the World Cup but i cant because i do not live in England

    ReplyDelete

  2. In america we call football socer.
    Jay

    ReplyDelete