Wednesday 26 March 2014

North of Nowhere by Liz Kessler

I was given this book to read by my teacher because I like exciting stories. Mia is a girl whose grandad has disappeared so Mia goes to find him. She is on a boat when there is a really enormous storm which scares her and her friend who is called Dee. The cover of the book has a picture of the boat in the storm. Mia and Dee ask for help from people but everyone is really confused about what is happening. The book is really exciting and I read it all in two days because I wanted to know what happened in it. I think the author is a really clever writer and I liked this story a lot. There were some bits that made me sad. Does it end happily ever after? Well, you need to read it. 10/10

Megan

I should have read this several weeks ago but unfortunately spilled coffee on my original version! Anyway, I ordered a replacement copy and finally got round to reading it last week. The story centres around a young girl called Mia, whose grandad has mysteriously vanished. Mia and her mum go to the village of Porthaven to support her grandma with the search. While she is there, she makes friends with some of the local children.

One morning Mia and her new friend, Dee, go sailing on one of the old boats from the local harbour. Whilst they are out on the sea, they get caught up in a storm which is unlike anything either of them have ever encountered. After eventually making it back to land, Mia finds that her whole world has changed in a completely unexpected way.

This is a beautifully written book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The relationships between the characters are very strong and you really get an understanding of how worried Mia is about her grandad. The mysteries of Porthaven unravel in an intriguing way and lots of seemingly minor characters all have important roles to play. The twist in the story is, perhaps, not totally unexpected, but it is written so movingly that it doesn't really matter. A fantastic story full of changing  family relationships and adventure, highly recommended for Year 6 upwards.

Mr Biddle


No comments:

Post a Comment