Wednesday 24 April 2013

Interview with John Dougherty

When John visited West Earlham Junior School last week as our first ever Patron of Reading, he was interviewed by the school Book Club.

Hello John. Did you enjoy reading when you were at school?
Yes, I loved it. I had my nose in a book all the time. When I was reading I felt like I was in another world. Actually, it was really hard to get me to stop reading.
  
When you were a boy, what did you want to do when you grew up?
It would depend on the book I was reading at the time. If I was reading a book about a shoemaker, I would want to be a shoemaker. If I was reading a book about a spaceman, I would want to be a spaceman. I never believed that I could be a writer.
  
What three tips would you give to someone who wanted to be a writer?
Hmmm. I think tip one would be read. Tip two would be read some more. And tip three would be read, read and keep reading.
  
If you weren't an author, what would you be?
Probably still a grumpy teacher! Or maybe a singer and songwriter.
  
Do you ever pinch ideas from other authors?
No I don't, but I love reading books by other writers.
  
Are any of your books based on your real experiences?
Not particularly, although sometimes I will take experiences from the lives of my friends and family, and exaggerate them for a book. In a way, I guess a lot of my books are inspired by real events but not really based on them. I do try to make my books seem the same as real life but I haven't yet met any Greek gods or talking headlice!
  
Do you always like a certain type of book?
I think it is really important to read (and write) different types of book. My mum always says read the first few pages of a book before you decide about it.
  
Can you tell us anything about your next book?
I can tell you that it is called Stink Bomb And Ketchup Face And The Badness Of Badgers. And I can also tell you that it is out in January next year!
  

Thanks John. We loved doing the interview and are already looking forward to the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment